Sunday, July 24, 2011

Imagineering

Anne Shirley: Don't you ever imagine things differently from what they are?
Marilla Cuthbert: No.
Anne Shirley: Oh Marilla, how much you miss.
(from the movie Anne of Green Gables)

I can identify with the fictional character of Anne Shirley in a number of ways but in my opinion this quote captures it best of all.  I have always had a great imagination.  I had imaginary friends when I was a kid (they were even creatively named - that's a different story though) and was always thinking up creative stories when I played with friends.  I think that may be why the "Harry Potter" books so enthrall me because those stories really capture my imagination.

As adults the imagination we cultivated as children can help us to achieve goals and overcome obstacles in our life.  I played sports as a kid and before we ever took to the field for a game, our team always had many practices to prepare ourselves.  In fact it would be crazy not to practice first, we certainly wouldn't be successful without practice.  I do a fair amount of public speaking as part of my job and before I deliver a big speech or participate in an interview I practice (it only makes sense, right?).

So I can't practice losing weight (you either do or do not) but I can visualize the success that I could have by reaching my goal.  Does that make sense? It's late as I write this and I realize it may not. To look at it another way, when you travel, isn't it always easier to go someplace you've been before?  So by visualizing my success it gradually becomes easier to attain it.  I don't want to sound too crazy. I'm not exactly just sitting around all day having visions or anything, ha, ha.

I love the English singer Adele (saw her in concert recently too!). She has an amazing song called "One and Only" and it contains the following lyrics which probably capture my muddled thoughts better than I am explaining them:
I don't know why I'm scared, I've been here before
Every feeling, every word, I've imagined it all,
You never know if you never try to forget your past
 
Incidentally, Weight Watchers also identifies this technique in their "Tools for Living" section. They call it 'mental rehearsing' but its the same thing. It doesn't mean I'll never slip up, surely I will.  It does help me get back up when I do slip and get back on the road to success.  If you can see it, you can do it!

By the way, here's a link to that amazing Adele song
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh how we miss Carpet and Jelly! Nice post--keep visualizing the success.

    (Why is it that the word I have to type as a security word is "lance"???)

    ReplyDelete