Thursday, July 28, 2011

BHAG #2

Without any further ado, I'd like to tell you a little bit about my second big BHAG.  Not only am I aiming to lose 50% of my current body weight.  I'm putting a little bit of an incentive behind it. 

Last year after my mom was diagnosed with cancer, my family signed up to participate in our local Relay for Life.  We were so incredibly blessed by people offering support, meals and such that we wanted to find a way to pay it forward.  That seemed like an excellent opportunity.  Our team collectively was the highest fundraising team in 2010 and we raised just shy of $10,000!  My mom was (quite frankly we all were) completely astounded by people's generosity.  She was touched beyond measure that people would take the time to support this important cause.

This year we participated again and though we didn't raise quite as much it was still a wonderful experience for our family. It was only 3 months after she had passed away and I confess that my heart wasn't in it the same way.  However, I also have an aunt battling cancer so we were all committed to participating and we raised over $2,500 this year.

At the kick off dinner one of the American Cancer Society staff members told about a recent trek he had made to Mt. Everest Base Camp in Nepal with ACS.  He raised $2,500 for ACS in order to participate in the trek with a handful of other people.  The group also did treks to Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Marcy. That dinner was literally days after my mom passed. I heard what he said, thought it was interesting but basically didn't think much more about it until recently.

In 2010 I had become sort of obsessed with learning about Mt. Everest. I watched a couple seasons of the reality show Everest: Beyond the Limit on the Discovery Channel (isn't that channel so addicting sometimes?).  Then I read several books including Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air that told the stories of people who had climbed Everest and K2 (the 2nd tallest mountain in the world).  I was fascinated, I admit it.  It was both easier and much, much harder than I imagined. I had no desire (still don't) to try to climb Mt. Everest, don't worry.  However, I admit that I suddenly had a desire to see it in person and to travel to this mysterious part of the world...the roof of the world as its called to see all that was there.

So my second BHAG is quite simple: I'm going to join a 2013 Journeys of Inspiration Trek to Mt. Everest Base Camp. I've talked to the local company who is running it and they feel that as long as I stick to my plan and start training I should have no trouble participating.  Base camp is 17,500 feet but not a technical climb in any way.  However the altitude is a challenge as is having the endurance to hike for many, many days in a row. 

I admit, it's absolutely crazy for me to set this goal out there.  And though I am not climbing Mt. Everest, with the shape that I am in at this very moment, even this adventure could be just as crazy.  But I think it's excellent incentive and a wonderful way to continue to honor my mom.

By the way, the photo on this blog is actually not Mt. Everest but it is from the Himalayas. It's Khumbu Himal but it's close enough to inspire me!  Wish me luck!  Here's more about Journey's of Inspiration.  More to come soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment