Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Weigh-in Wednesday

Enough about perspective, it's time to update you on how I am actually doing.  Well...see that is why perspective is so important.  Strictly speaking I'm still down 3.2 lbs from where I started this journey (down at least 8 lbs from my highest weight) but that is a couple pounds higher than I was last time.

That is why perspective is so important and also why I'm not ONLY measuring my success by the scale.  See in the last few weeks I've traveled twice and when I was home, I had a very busy schedule.  That's one of my big problems right now, I don't always have complete control over what I'm eating (I can, of course, control portions though).  Looking back over the last few weeks and where I've been I am actually pleased that I'm doing as well as I am.

A couple other good things:
  • I've been making healthier choices even when I go out.  I've been trying to skip fried foods if at all possible.  Today I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich. I love grilled chicken but usually when I go out that is when I give in and get a fried chicken sandwich. Today I restrained myself, and I didn't force myself to finish the meal. I stopped when I was full!
  • I haven't been able to get on a regular walking schedule yet, but in LA and certainly last weekend in Michigan I had days with extensive walking. In fact, the day I got to LA I went out to explore the city on foot so I could work in a little exercise!
  • Tonight I went for a swim when I got home. Swimming laps and treading water is great exercise!
  • I've been taking my lunch almost every day (except today when I left it at home) and eating lots of fruit with my sandwich.
This whole move to get healthier encompasses more than just my weight. I also realize that I am just too busy. I'm trying to fix that but I'm involved in a number of things with commitments right now so it's going to take a little time to get my schedule evened out a bit.  It's easy as a single person to over-commit yourself. No one is waiting at home for me so I just keep saying yes.  Part of this process is realizing that its better to do a few things and do them well than to try to be all things to all people.

Next week I hope to have taken off those couple extra pounds and I see no reason why I won't do that. I'm taking this one day and one decision at a time...

Just for fun...a photo I took in LA.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Jodie. :) I've been reading your blog and just wanted to comment and say thank you for opening up and letting us in on your adventure! You're Mom would be so proud of you and I am inspired by you! Great job! I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving in with Tim completely changed the way I eat and I know it takes time and a lot of self-discipline to eat better and healthier. I love reading your posts! Keep up the great work! If you need any help in the going out to eat category, let me know. I have some great (seriously life changing) "reference" books I can recommend.

    ReplyDelete